FFliminality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» "Closing Time"
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am by Tainted Dreamz

» What Game(s) Are you Playing?
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:21 pm by Nightmare

» The Epic Return Thread
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm by Nightmare

» Borderlands 2
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 pm by Archangel

» FFXIII Versus
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 3:55 pm by Archangel

» Bioshock series
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am by Archangel

» The journey- a short animation
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 am by Just_Smile

» The Soundtrack(Both CT and CC)
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am by Archangel

» About Fucking Time
In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 am by Claire

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

In-Depth Criticism (spoilers)

+2
The Cap'n
Claire
6 posters

Go down

In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) Empty In-Depth Criticism (spoilers)

Post by Claire Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:53 am

I'm moving from the YEAH topic to here. In this topic, we get to go in depth, literally, on how we took each Final Fantasy, including Spin-offs. Here are the topics to discuss.

Plot
Characters (progression, personality, playability, etc.)
Battle System
Graphics (from VII, up)
Music
Final Bosses (story-wise, and secrets if you wish)

Now, since we are discussing every little chip of each game, this topic will be exceedingly long, so keep your responses to the point, but not necessarily short. One way to shorten responses is to only review FFs that you have beaten, or at least understand the plot.
Claire
Claire

http://www.ffliminality.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

In-Depth Criticism (spoilers) Empty Re: In-Depth Criticism (spoilers)

Post by The Cap'n Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 am

COPY PASTA!!!

I- Don't hate or like. In the middle with this one. I hated the extreme difficulty if you've played the NES version of it. Agree with Nemo, you had no idea where to go but that's the fun of it because you had to guess where you go so it wasn't as linear as other games.
II- Worst in the series. Hate the characters, hate the leveling system and the story sucked. Music was good but that's it.
III- Lol another disaster. I forgot how far I got in the DS version but it wasn't worth my time.
IV- Good. I enjoyed IV a lot. "Spoony Bard" is all to say with this game.
V- Whole new appreciation for this. I enjoy it more than IV plus it has FF's greatest villain, GILGAMESH. The music is fantastic in this game.
VI- Second Favorite in the series. Story was good but what kept me going was the wide range of characters and shit to do for them. Gau would keep you busy for days (even though I can't stand him). The music is one of my favorites in the series.
VII- Third favorite. The characters were a mix of stereotypical and awesome. Cid was just the main reason I kept replaying and the Turks are the coolest characters in the series.
VIII- First FF I ever played, hate it to death. This game blows. The characters drove me nuts, *Insert Who Gives a Shit Villain* and the junction system is cheep and annoying.
IX- Favorite game of all time. Second FF to ever play. Love the art style, the soundtrack is amazing and the characters are fun and lovable.
X- Pretty good, not great. The voiceacting was attrocious.
XII- Hate. Not as much as VIII, III and II but I still hate it.
XIII- Awful awful awful. Not going to continue playing.

DoC- GARBAGE! This game is shit.
Crisis Core- Not bad, story is full of massive plot holes and who gives a shit character. Gameplay, pretty fun.
Dissidia- Crap. Could have been so much better.
Tactics (PSX)- Fucking awesome. The story and characters are so well done. May end up in my favorites depending on the ending.
Tactics Advance (GBA)- Lame. Doesn't compare to the PSX game.

Go more into detail with certain shit this weekend, busy week, gotta sleep but i keep fucking around.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 am

I:
Plot, excellent, especially considering this was Square's last chance at being successful, so they had to think on their feet with this plot. The really cool, yet annoying thing, is that after it's over, no one remembers what happened.
Characters, not much to say.
Battle System, the birth of a legend, yet in this game, highly exploitable. Nothing is particularly hard until Chaos when you can up your stats by throwing your own equipment on yourself.
Music, as always, excellent. Not usually can 8-bit music put me to sleep, but the tracks on this game were very soothing.
Final Bosses: Good god, Chaos is a freakin workout, but oh, so much fun. And in later versions, they include bosses from 2-6, which was also fun.

II:
No comment.

III:
Got stuck, never touched it again.

IV:
First FF and loved every minute.

V:
Was awesome, but I got stuck again.

VI:
From what I've played, it's fantastic, reminds me of Secret of Evermore.

VII:
Plot, seeing as VII is one giant mindfuck in and of itself, the plot was pretty hard to follow. From Cloud not being who he thought he was, to the main villain being only a shadow of an alien. And after actually playing VII, I can understand why everyone likes it so much, but it wasn't superb. I loved this game in terms of it being a Final Fantasy, but I don't consider it the best story at all.
Characters, loved them all with exceptions for Cloud. Every character seemed to have a disorder of some kind. lol
Battle System, difficult as the game progressed, but it was still fun. Materia system was weird.
Graphics, gigantic leap from VI, absolutely beautiful, especially when it first came out, it's the first FF to show 3D graphics and FMV quality cutscenes.
Music, probably my favorite track of the series, whenever I grind in most games, I usually mute the tv, and put in an iPod. But with VII, I always turn the tv up and just listen to the music while grinding, it's extremely soothig and sometimes hyped.
Final Bosses, I haven't even gotten to Disc 3 yet, but I hear that Sephiroth is one of the hardest final bosses in any FF. I watched the battle and I was really scared for my life.

VIII:
No interest.

IX:
Haven't gotten very far, but every minute getting up to the point I'm at was well worth it.

X:
Plot, my favorite story of any game I've ever played, I could get detailed on why, but it would take up more than half my post.
Characters, all very likable, and all develop in some way.
Battle System, probably the easiest system out of any FF I've ever played, mostly because there's no ATB bar.
Graphics, aboslutely captivating, and looking back, I still prefer these graphics to newer FFs.
Music, second favorite, another game I can listen to while grinding, the battle theme is extremely catchy and, to me, never gets old.
Final Bosses, the real challenge of the game, Jecht seems almost impossible the first time you fight him, but after fighting Nemesis, he's a giant orange pushover.

XII:
Plot, ehhhhhh, didn't hate it, but didn't really like it.
Characters, all except for Penelo were pretty likable to me, even Vaan if you mute the tv. lol The thing I liked about this game is the change in culture, mostly the British accents.
Battle System, complicated, but beatable. Not particularly fun.
Graphics, I much prefer X when comparing these graphics, everyone in XII looked like they hadn't washed their face for weeks.
Music, a bit nostalgic, they remixed a few tracks from the first FF and those, I liked, the others were slightly boring.
Final Bosses, extremely annoying when you leave it up to Gambits, to make it beatable, I had to take complete control. My AI kept dying and trying to cast Bubble over and over. >_>

Crisis Core:
Loved every minute of it, and the missions were fun, the most hours I put into grinding in my life.

Dirge of Cerberus:
Another story change to VII, except it wasn't exceptional. Gameplay was fun, final boss sucked, characters need to be shot.

Dissidia:
I've put the most time into this game getting everything completed and after I got done, I just put it down and get random urges to play again...

Last edited by Alucard on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm

FF: never played
FF2: never played
FF3-4: never played
FF5: didn't hold my attention long, I liked Faris, but the story was cliche and otherwise boring
FF6: awesome game, great story, some really good characters, but some characters sucked
FF7: my favorite ff and second favorite game of all time, first ff played, just everything felt epic about it, not overrated at all, haters are just hatin, every character actually served a purpose in this game
FF8: bleh, not very good at all, stupid systems and too depressing

FF9: awesome game, great story and characters, best ending, in my top ten list of games of all time
FF10: ok, but too easy, predictable, story was ok, characters sucked and everyone was whiny,,, waaaaa my dad is a big floating turd boohoo
FF11: p2p is bullshit
FF12: underrated, good game, solid characters, loved the license board, and a solid story
FF13: fun, has its ups and downs, but is still an overall great game
Dissidia: sucked
Crisis Core: awesome, great story, fun gameplay, tons of emotion
Dirge of Cerberus: i liked it more than most, enjoyed the shooting aspect of the game
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Zane the pure Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:01 pm

1- Loved it
2- I disagree with soooo many people here, but then again, I'm insane
3- Looked Meh to me.
4- Characters, plot and voices (DS) were good, but it was a bit short
5- I have a lot of hours invested on this one, love it
6- Bleh probably my least fav
7- The most popular in the world, its good but DOESN'T deserve ALL the hype it gets
8- Never really played, but the junctions seem pretty cheap
9- Maybe its because I didn't see much of it, but what i saw wasn't very entertaining
10- I have played maybe 30min worth of this game in my whole life and I know 87% of the plot (Thank you Nemo) This one was pretty good
11- MMO? I'll pass
12- 30min, and I know most of the story. Too many British people, but it was good
13- No clue
14- MMO again? i hope i can get around to this one eventually, it looks good

Spinoffs
Crisis Core: haters gonna hate, this one was great.
Dirge of cerberus: Looked BA, bt I never played it really (Seemed like DMC)
10-2: I'll be honest, just like 10 I know more than I'll ever play, but I fouced on the fact that they were all female. Hah good times
Advent Children- More haters, really doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. The Characters weren't much different at all
Dissidia- 300+ hours and still going, I loved everything except the chessboard gameplay

Get @ me haters... lol
Zane the pure
Zane the pure

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 pm

FFI: Not done. But classic.

FFII: Never played.

FFIII: Never played.

FFIV: Classic. Fucking classic. Never finished it though.

FFV: Um... bare Bartz? LOL. I passed.

FF VI: Second best FF. Great story and load full of colorful Characters. Nostalgic music {Terra's theme} and a psycho bad guy that just set the bar for a FF in my opinion.

FF VII: The most OVER RATED FF. Although it was a decent game, can we get over the fucking spin offs and can we keep Cloud a badass and not so fucking emo. I can agree it's a good game, not the fucking best though. Most people who claim this as the best FF never played the ones before which are so much better like FFVI and I'd even say FFIV has a better flavor. I blame this game for some of the bad directions that the FF franchise has taken. Probably my sixth or fifth favorite.

FFVIII: Um.... Yeah. The battle system killed it for me.

FFIX: One of the most under rated FF in my opinion. It has a great story, classic game play, great side quests, and awesome music, however the characters didn't really stick with me. Maybe it's the chibi look, but aside from Amarant, Steiner, and Beatrix, none of the characters really stood in my hall of famers.

FFX: This FF has the heart. It brought it out of the medieval, hi tech feel of FF and made it a little bit more to the islands and the great impact the element of water has on those water based places. I like that. The conflict of following one's religion or the heart, a love story, the imperfect relationship between an imperfect father and a lack of role model son, the honor of a Samurai to his deceased master, and to convey to the dreamers that the dream is never dead. Of course it has the elements of a great FF with the music, the line ups of mediocre, annoying, and great Characters {Auron!!!}, and of course the first time you get to change characters in a battle! Boo Fucking Yah! I still love this game to this day. I'd say it's up there as one of my favorite games of all time. Although this game was the first that the map system was eliminated.

FFXI: Um. Passed.

FFXII: Um. Retarded.

FFXIII: The recent glory of the FF franchise. I think for starting on the new gen, this has some flaws but it defintely has some good points its trying to do. But if XIII is going to be the main direction the future FFs will go to then I'm afraid FF and all its' past glories will slowly start to diminish. It will be a different entity altogether. But regardless, what FFXIII did and other FFs didn't because of their limitation in technology was for sure a thumbs up.

FFXIV: Um... still haven't decided.

Spin offs:

Crisis Core: Fuck off.
Dirge of Cerebrus: Fun, but fuck off.
Dissidia: Pee on you.
X-2: For sure a good 'Eye candy game'. LOL. like Zane said: 'Good times'.

Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Just_Smile Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:31 am

FF I - FF VI : never played it

FF VII : It has got some lovable characters and the storyline is very well done. I just didn't like Cloud..
FF VII Crisis Core : It has got to be one of my favourites ! I adore Zack and even Cloud was awesome. It had funny parts.
FF VII DoC : I'm AWFUL in shooters, and I know most of you found this one really easy. Well, it was hard for me, but it's finished ! And I actually enjoyed it xD However, it has got to be one of the most pessimistic FF's ever... And with a weird "happy ending". (the main characters may have survived, but 90% of the world population didn't xD)

FF VIII : I haven't finished it yet, but I'm still playing. The story just slows me down ; I'm not in a very interesting chapter right now ^^'. But I like it. It isn't one of the greatest ones, but it's still good.

FF IX : That's an awesome game ! Even though I think Kuja's girly design sucks, I adore the game. The background art is awesome, the story is awesome and the (weird drawn) characters are. I think it has to be my favourite one ^^ I love the atmosphere in the game too.

FF X : Also an awesome game ! (especially Rikku ;P) Hmmm... Nothing else to say xD
FF X-2 : I really enjoyed it a few years ago, but now I lost my interest... However I think some characters even improved and others have become less good. Maybe I don't like it that much anymore because it hasn't got a real storyline ? I don't know..

FFXI : Haven't got it

FFXII : I know, most of you think I'm mad, but I love this game ! xD The battle system was awesome and it has got a lot of horsies and wolvies, lol.

FFXIII : Also a favourite <3 Awesome graphics, sweet story, nice characters (I even like Lightning D: ) and nice worlds to play in ^^

Dissidia : Hmmm.... I liked it, but I'm not a fan. It starts to get boring after awhile...
Just_Smile
Just_Smile

http://sillyhearts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cap'n Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Just_Smile wrote:FF IX : That's an awesome game ! Even though I think Kuja's girly design sucks, I adore the game. The background art is awesome, the story is awesome and the (weird drawn) characters are. I think it has to be my favourite one ^^ I love the atmosphere in the game too.

Muahahahaha. My plans are working. Welcome to the IX Squad, infinitely cooler than every other FF.
The Cap'n
The Cap'n

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm second in command!!! *Cid leaps on shoulder* WRONG!! *smack!*
Claire
Claire

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm

FFXIII and FFIX remains to be the only FFs I played that I only did one playthrough. After beating both of them, I had no motivation to go for a second round.... Fuck I even gave FFVIII 2 playthroughs and FFVII sucked a lot of my days and FFX/X2 sucked as much hours as Fallout and Elder Scrolls out of me.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:29 pm

sounds like you did a lot of sucking
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erel Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 pm

LOL! More like Cloud, Sephiroth, Tidus, and Rikku did since they were the games sucking the days of my life back in the day.
Erel
Erel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down